Skål USA PRESS & Webinars
Webinar: What the Numbers are Saying About Air Travel
When: June 22nd at 2 pm EST
About: Air travel recovery isn’t “going to happen soon,” it’s already happening. Talking points and posturing aside, what is the data saying about it? What destination cities, states and countries are trending and what is expected in the months ahead? Chuck Thackston, managing director of data science and research at Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC) will share takeaways from the ARC global database on air travel ticket purchases across both corporate and leisure segments. Using ARC data collected from more than 10,000 travel agencies and airline direct channels across the world, he will also talk about the trends he observed in 2020 and what new trends are being seen in 2021 data.
recent Webinars & links
Webinar: The Future of Travel with Richard Bangs
About: Bangs, co-founder and Chief Adventure Officer of the website, Steller.co talks about what bookings look like in the days ahead. Where will people be staying? Where are they likely to go? What about masks? Pricing? Overtourism? Where are trends, trending? Bangs presents a compelling snapshot of where travel is today and where we may expect it to go, and what we should expect in the days ahead. Webinar held on May 12
Webinar: The future of travel with Pauline Frommer from Frommer’s Guidebooks About: Frommer will discuss what she’s seeing, in terms of both the near and long-term changes. This webinar will cover the types of destinations that will likely be popular going forward, the types of vacations Americans seem to be gravitating towards, and other issues that will likely shape travel going forward. Webinar was held on April 14
– Webinar Recording
Webinar: Exhibitions and Conferences Industry Updates featuring David DuBois About: This session will provide an overview of the current status of the exhibitions and conferences industry. Realities and considerations will be shared that will help participants understand what is being done to safely relaunch our industry and assist the efforts to advocate and enhance the profitability and engagement of the overall industry ecosystem. This industry is a critical element of the overall hospitality ecosystem. Webinar held on March 31
Webinar: Seeing the good – an industry call to action from Tourism Cares featuring Greg Takehara. This interactive webinar looks into about Tourism Cares, the convening and philanthropic arm of the travel and tourism industry, and shares their strategy centered around sustainability and resiliency. Webinar held on March 16th.
– Webinar Recording
Webinar: How to Add More Zing to Zoom Meetings featuring Catherine Heeg. How are Skal Clubs using video conferencing to engage their membership and attract new members? Join Catherine as she explores how clubs across North America are getting creative in these tricky times. We’ll get into the weeds with her and look at ways clubs are using Zoom and other meeting software. Webinar held on February 25th
– Webinar Recording
– Facebook Live Q&A
Webinar: Get to know The Travel Institute with Patty Noonan. The Travel Institute offers a variety of travel and tourism courses. Why not increase your travel knowledge during the pandemic while earning certification like CTC, CTIE and more? Webinar held on February 3rd.
– Webinar Recording
Skål USA NEWSLETTERS
Skål USA PRESS RELEASES
- January 7, 2021: 2020: A Year We Will Never Forget
- March 30, 2021: Skål continues its highly successful Webinar Series
- June 9, 2021: Club of the Year Press Release
- October 22, 2020: Skål International Holds Successful Annual General Meeting – Roger Dow Receives Honor
- June 17, 2020: New Partnership Announced with UATP
- May 11, 2020: Skål International USA Announces Program To Help Hospitality Workers
- March 17, 2020: Eight Skal International Women receive awards during CONNECT Travel Conference, by Women in Travel and Tourism International (WITTI).
- December 18, 2019: 2019 An Active Year for Skal International USA President: Meet the New 2020 Skal USA Leadership Team
- September 24, 2019: Skål International Chicago Celebrates 80 Years
- August 12, 2019: Skål International USA Calls For Exemption For Travel Advisors In California
- July 2, 2019: Boston Skål Club Member Receives Skål USA’s Bill Sweet Award
- January 28, 2019: Skal USA Honor Boston Skal Club, Plans for the Future
- December 11, 2018: Skål International USA Ends 2018 on a High Note
- August 8, 2018: Skål International USA Prioritizes Transportation Infrastructure Investment to Enhance Tourism
- May 29, 2018: Skål International USA Raises National Industry Visibility at IPW
- May 5, 2018: Brand USA’s Chris Thompson Receives First Skål International USA National Tourism Leadership Award
- April 2, 2018: Skål USA Joins National Tourism Advocates
- February 22, 2018: Skål USA Executive Committee Meets for 2018 Winter; Selects Two Key Issues
Skål USA MEMBERS IN THE NEWS
- October 23, 2020: Three Skål International Washington DC Members Recognized Internationally. Roger Dow, William Moyer, and Steve Richer bring home honors to the USA. Read More here!
- October 22, 2020: Skål International, the world’s largest Travel and Tourism Association, held its 81 annual General Assembly Meeting last week and honored Roger Dow, President and CEO of the U.S. Travel Association, as the Skål International “Ambassador of the Year”… Read More here!
- October 20, 2020: “The First US Woman VP elected on Skal International Executive Board,” — On October 17th, 2020, during the 81st Annual General Meeting held online, Burcin Turkkan representing the United States has been elected as the Senior Vice President on the Skal International Executive Board. Turkkan is the first female Skal International USA member to be elected on the Skal International Executive Board and reaching the ranking of Senior Vice President at the Skal International level. Read More here!
- October 14, 2020: Some wonderful news for a change as Skål DC member Markus Platzer, GM at InterContinental The Willard Washington D.C. was voted NO 1 hotel in Washington D.C. by Conde Nest Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards 2020. Markus was appointed in August 2017 and he and his team have led this wonderful historic hotel to new heights. Congratulations Markus from all your friends at Skål DC. We value your membership in Skål DC. Read More here!
- October 7, 2020: Today, Brand USA, the destination marketing organization for the United States, announces the launch of Brand USA Global Marketplace—a one-stop shop for U.S. travel partners and international audiences to interact. Brand USA Global Marketplace is a custom-built, always-on, virtual platform that provides access to a diverse range of U.S. destinations, attractions, and points of interest for the international travel industry. Learn More!
- September 23, 2020: Please join me in congratulating Skål DC member Elliott L. Ferguson II, President & CEO at Destination DC on his recognition by Northstar Meetings Group as a top 25 influencer of the Meetings Industry. Read more here!
Tourism Industry News
Executive Educational Webinars
Webinar: Conversation with Tourism Panel of Industry Experts featuring Roger Dow, President & CEO, U.S. Travel Association; Zane Kerby, President & CEO, American Society of Travel Advisors; Dave Hilfman, Interim Executive Director, Global Business Travel Association & Chip Rodgers, President & CEO, American Hotel & Lodging Association. “The Current Impact on the Travel Industry and its Future Outlook”. Wednesday, December 16 -1 pm (ET)
Webinar: Conversation with Teri Davena and Mario Giuliani, City of Benicia’s Office of Economic Development. Join Teri and Mario as they present “From Surviving to Thriving” – a case study of how one city is working to meet overwhelming challenges to tourism and small businesses faced with COVID-19 restrictions. The city of Benicia, CA has not only been flourishing but has laid out a groundwork for post COVID-19.
Thursday, December 3, 2020 – 2:00 pm (ET).
Webinar: Conversation with Peter Pantuso, President & CEO, American Bus Association “The Way Forward with Peter Pantuso: What Happens Next with the Motorcoach and Group Travel Industry?”, Wednesday, November 11, 2020 – 1:00 pm (ET)
– Webinar Recording
Webinar: Conversation with Bob Shaff, “How to Rebound from COVID-19 pandemic with your customers (and your friends)”, Thursday, October 15, 2020
2 pm (ET)
Webinar: Conversation with Eduardo Santander PhD, Executive Director/CEO of the European Travel Commission; September 3, 2020 (10 am – ET)
– Webinar Recording
– ETC Additional Resources from Webinar
Webinar: Continuing the Conversation with Roger Dow, President & CEO – (USTA) – August 13, 2020 (2 pm – ET)
– Webinar Recording
– U.S. Travel Association Additional Resources From Webinar
Webinar: A Conversation with Zane Kerby
Webinar: A Conversation with Anthony Melchiorri
Webinar: A Conversation with Chris Thompson
Webinar: A Conversation with Peter Greenberg
Webinar: A Conversation with Roger Dow
Business and Social Virtual Meetings
Webinar: 2020 Virtual Skål USA AGM & NCM
Young Skål: Educational Member Presentation
Coronavirus Information & Updates
Skål USA Presents, "A Conversation with Roger Dow" Click on the link above to hear the full conversation. Roger Dow's advice for more information on the CORONAVIRUS & TOURISM:
U.S. Travel Association Updates on Coronavirus and Tourism
- Our general resource page
- Our CARES Act details page (will be updated as we learn more)
- Current CARES Act summary
- Sign up form for our Coronavirus newsletters
- Travel in the New Normal: Health Guide to Travelers
CARES Act: U.S. Travel provides answers to the most commonly-asked questions, including the types of assistance available and how the CARES Act applies to specific businesses and organizations.
May 11: Hotel Impossible host Anthony Melchiorri announcing USA #HOSPITALITYSTRONG RELIEF FUNDRAISER effort with Skål USA President Dave Ryan and Mark Irlang, Skal USA Long Island President on “Checking In Blog with Anthony & Glenn”
Skål International Promotional Brochure
Skål International Press Kit
Skål Position Papers
PRess Releases – ARCHIEVES
- December 29, 2017: Skål USA Celebrate a Successful 2017 and New Officers
- October 12, 2017: Skål International to Bring Worldwide Tourism Event to Miami, Mexico and Caribbean in 2019; First Global Support for Disaster Impacted Region
- September 13, 2017: Skål USA Joins Trade Groups to Aid Hurricane-ravaged Destinations
- September 13, 2017: Work in Tourism? Meet Other Pros with Skal Group
- September 5, 2017: Uzbekistan Embassy Hosts Skål International USA Executive Committee, SI Washington and Skål Scholars
- June 5, 2017: Skål International USA Urges Retention of Funding for Brand USA
- April 1, 2017: Project Time Off, U.S. Travel Association
- February 13, 2017: New Skål International USA Executive Committee Officially Takes Office, Defines Goals at 2017 Winter Board Meeting in Orlando
- September 29, 2016: Skål International USA Meets with Tourism Industry Leaders Plots New Partnerships and Expanded Relationships
- September 20, 2016: Skål International USA Holds National Committee Meeting in Little Rock, Arkansas Unites Tourism Industry
- September 19, 2016: Skal International USA National Committee Meeting Unites Industry Executives and Future Leaders
- August 15, 2016 : Skål and UNWTO Condemn Recent Terror Attacks
- August 12, 2016: Skål International USA Condemns Terrorism
- July 13, 2016: Skål International USA Restructures Board Positions by 90 Percent of Delegates Vote During June Annual General Meeting in Boise, Idaho
- June 2, 2016: Skål International USA Announces Officers